Crochet Reindeer — Free Pattern
If you asked people to make a list of the 10 Greatest Christmas TV Specials from their Childhood, then you would probably see that Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer made it on to many of those lists. This was inspiration for this crochet reindeer ornament. You might be wondering why my reindeer doesn’t have a red nose. I wasn’t sure if there would be any copyright issues if I made a reindeer with a red nose.
Lion Brand Yarn Vanna’s Choice medium (worsted) weight acrylic yarn (31/2 oz/170 yds/100g per ball):
- 1 skein—Chocolate (#126)
- 1 skein—Taupe (#125)
Felt Scraps–Black and White
Black Embroidery Floss
Size G/6/4mm crochet hook
Crochet Reindeer Instructions
You will use the tail below the first stitch to create a hanging loop. Make sure that the tail you leave is long enough to create a loop.
Rnd 1: With taupe, ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Place marker. (6 sc)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around. (12 sc)
Rnd 3: [Sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc] around. (18 sc)
Rnd 4: [Sc in each of next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc] around. (24 sc)
Rnd 5: [Sc in each of next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc] around. (30 sc)
Rnds 6-8: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 9: [Sc in each of next 3 sc, sc dec in next 2 sts] around. (24 sc)
Rnd 10: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 11: [Sc in each of next 2 sc, sc dec in next 2 sts] around. (18 sc)
Rnd 12: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 13: [Sc in each of next sc, sc dec in next 2 sts] around. (12 sc)
Rnd 14: Sc in each sc around.
Create a hanging loop using the tail. Weave in its tail end. Stuff.
Rnd 15: [Sc dec in next 2 sts] around. (6 sc)
Fasten off leaving a long tail for sewing. Sew closed. Weave in end and trim.
Rnd 1: With taupe, ch 4, 3 sc in the second ch from the hook, sc in next chain, 3 sc into the last ch, working along opposite side of foundation chain, sc in next ch. (8 sc)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in the first sc , sc in next sc, work 2 sc in each of the next 3 sc, sc in next sc, and work 2 sc in each of the next 2 sc. (14 sc)
Rnd 3: Sc, *sc in next sc, work 2 sc in the next sc; repeat from * six times, sc. (20 sc)
Rnds 4-5: Sc in each sc around.
Fasten off and leave a tail for sewing.
Ear (make 2)
Row 1: With taupe, ch 2, 3 sc in 2nd ch from hook. (3 sc)
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in sc, 2 sc in sc, sc in sc. (4 sc)
Row 3: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc.
Row 4: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in sc, sc in 2 sc, 2 sc in sc. (6 sc)
Row 5: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc.
Row 6: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in sc, sc in 4 sc, 2 sc in sc. (8 sc)
Finish outside edges. Ch 1, turn, work 4 sc along the first edge. Work sc, hdc, and sc into the point. Work four more sc along the second edge. Fasten off and leave a tail for sewing.
- Ch 14, sc in the second chain from hook and the next 2 sc.
- Slp stitch into the next ch. Ch 4. Sc in the second chain from hook and the next 2 sc.
- Sc in next 2 ch.
- Ch 5. Sc in the second chain from hook and the next 3 sc.
- Sc in remaining 7 ch.
- Ch 1, turn so that the wrong side is facing you. Sc along the outside edge of the antlers. When you get to a point work 3 sc. When you finish, fasten off leaving a tail for sewing closed.
- To create a three dimensional antler, sew the sides together starting at the base. (Fig. 1)
Then sew the first point closed. (Fig. 2)
To sew the second and third points closed, you will have to weave yarn through the antler to be in the correct position. When you finish the third point, you should end up in the middle. These means that you will be sewing from the outside edge and working towards the middle. Sew the middle closed and weave the working yarn in and trim. (Fig. 3)
Assemble Crochet Reindeer
Please use photo for reference regarding placement.
- Muzzle—embellish and attach. (The longer dimension of the muzzle should be oriented in a North/South direction.) Sew a triangle shaped nose using embroidery floss. Then use the floss to add the mouth. Stuff the muzzle, sew it into place and weave in yarn end.
- Antlers—sew into place.
- Ears—modify and sew into place. First, fold ears almost in half along the length. Second, sew the base of the ear together. Third, sew into place.
- Eyes—create and glue. Cut the eyes from felt. The white part of the eye is an oval that is 3/4″ in length. The black part of the eye is 1/2″ circle. Glue the pieces together and then into place.