Before you make the decision to pursue the goal of becoming a published designer, you should ask yourself the following questions
- Why do you want to be published? Or, what is your goal?
- Is it a one-time goal?
- Is it a step towards achieving a long-time goal?
- What is your long-term goal?
- How do handle rejection in general?
- Will rejection cancel out your joy of creating?
- How do you feel about doing work on spec? Meaning how would you feel spending time and money on something without knowing if you’ll get paid for it?
To be perfectly candid with the reader, I wouldn’t have had answers to all these questions at the beginning. My response probably would have been “I’ll give it a try and see what happens or I’ll give it a try and I’ll reevaluate at some point in the future, such as 6 months or a year.”
In future posts, I’ll address the points above and provide practical information about getting published. If you have a specific question please let me know and I’ll do my best to answer it.
Links to the other posts in the series.