Free Beaded Butterfly Pendant Pattern
The beads used to make this beaded butterfly pendant are: two hole Es-o mini beads, seed beads and 2TINY™ Czech Fire Polished Beads. The instructions includes photos. This project is beginner friendly and great for more experienced beaders who are short on time.
Beaded Butterfly Materials
1 6/0 Czech Seed Bead (color 1) (A)
8 8/0 Czech Seed Bead (color 1) (B)
1g 10/0 Czech Seed Bead (color 1) (C)
12 4mm 2-Hole Es-o Mini Beads (D)
1g 10/0 Czech Seed Beads (color 2) (E)
8 2mm 2TINY™ Czech Fire Polished Beads (F)
56 11/0 Czech Seed Beads (color 3) (G)
Closed Jumpring or Enough (C) Beads to Make a Loop for Hanging
Beadalon® WildFire™ beading thread diameter 00.20 (.008”) Black
Big Eye Needle
How to Make a Beaded Butterfly Pendant
String needle with 4′ of beading thread. Pick up 1A and 3B. Close the circuit by passing through A again. Reinforce the four bead unit by passing through all the bead again and then end up exiting the B that is opposite A.
Create the body using the ladder stitch. Pick up 1B. Pass down through the prior and up through the B you just added. Pick up 1B. Pass the needle up through through the prior bead and down through the B you just added. (The thread path will alternate for each stitch.) Work one more stitch using B, and then work three stitches using C. For more detailed information on the ladder stitch click here.
- The upper wing will be worked off of the 2B that face each other. Weave thread so that it exits one of these B. Pick up 3D. Pass through B, 3D and B.
- Pick up 2E and 1C. Pass through the second hole of D.
- Pick up 1F and pass through the next D—repeat two times.
- Pick up 1C and 2E. Pass through B, 2E, and 1C.
- Start the frame. Pick up 1C, 7G and 2C. To make the 2C you just picked up sit side by side C, follow the thread path of the ladder stitch. Pass the needle up through the first C and down through the second C and back up through the first C.
- Pick up 1C and pass through the next C.
- Complete the frame. Pick up 7G and 1C. Complete the circuit by passing through 1C. Reinforce wing by passing through all the outside edge beads a couple of times. When you are done reinforcing the wing, your needle should be exiting between the pairs of E and C.
The bottom wing shares 2C with the top wing.
- Pick up 2C, 7G, 1B, 7G. Complete the circuit (frame) by passing through the 2C (from the upper wing). Pass through 2C, 7G, and 1B.
- Pick up 3D. Pass through 1B, 3D, 1B, and 3G.
- Pass through the second hole of the next D.
- Pick up 1F and pass through the next D—twice.
- Pass through the beads that make up the frame a couple of times.
- Optional—you can connect the two inside C beads to the body to create more stability.
- Repeat the steps above to create a top and bottom wing on the opposite side.
- Add hanging loop to body of butterfly. If using a closed jumpring, then sew it to the first B of the body. Reinforce until secure. If making a loop using C, weave thread so that it is exiting the B opposite the A. Pick up enough C beads for the chain upon which the pendant will be worn. (Make sure it is larger enough for the clasp of the chain to pass through.) Pass the needle through the B below. Repeat thread path until secure. Weave in thread ends and trim.