Beaded Star Pendant or Ornament
This beaded star can be made into a pendant or an ornament. You will use the brick stitch—basic and circular. (Just in case you are new to bead stitching, I included links to free bead stitch tutorials.) To make this you’ll need the following: 6 mm round bead, 10/0 seed beads, 3mm glass pearls, and 2mm 2TINY™ fire polished bead.
1 6mm Czech Fire Polished Bead Round (A)
1g 10/0 Czech Seed Beads (B)
11 3mm Czech Glass Pearls (C)
2g 2mm 2TINY™ Fire Polished Beads—Crystal Vitrail Medium (D)
Beadalon® WildFire™ beading thread diameter 00.20 (.008”)–Frost
Big Eye Needle
- Free Basic Brick Stitch Tutorial. Click here for the written tutorial with illustrations.
- Free Circular Brick Stitch Tutorial. Click here for the written tutorial with illustrations. This tutorial shows you how to work the circular brick stitch around a round bead.
- Every row of the brick stitch starts with 2 beads.
- The number of beads you work each round may vary based on the bead you use.
- Your goal is to have the beads be evenly spaced around the center bead. Ideally, you should have worked 25 beads on step four. If you have less than 25, then work an additional round. If you have more than 25 beads, then the simplest adjustment is to leave that bead unworked.
- You may need to use your fingers to nudge the beads into place.
Beaded Star Instructions
Create Center of Star
- On 4’ piece of beading thread, pick up A leaving a 5” tail. Pass through the center twice and placing one loop on each side. The stitches that surround the center bead will be worked off of these loops.
- Pick up 2B. Pass the needle under the thread loop (heading towards you) and up through second bead strung. Pull the thread so that beads rest snugly on the center bead. Finish the round picking up one bead at a time. String bead 3, pass thread under the loop and pass back up through bead 3. Repeat all the way around. In this case the last bead is the 13th. After you completed the 13th stitch, pass the needle down through the first bead, out towards the back, under the thread loop in front of the first bead and up through the first bead.
- Repeat step two using C. (13 total)
- Repeat step tow using D. (25 total)
Make Five Star Points
- Work the first stitch using 2D. After you complete the stitch pass down the first bead and up the second bead to make secure. Work a total of 5D in the first row, then work one less bead for three rows—4, 3 and 2 beads.
- After you have completed the row with two bead, pick up 1D and pass down through the next D. Weave through the beads to be in position to make the next point. Pass down through the beads along the edge to the base of the point you just completed. Then weave your needle up through the next available D. Create four more points. Weave in thread ends and trim.
- Finish piece for desired use, such as a pendant or holiday ornament. For a pendant make a loop using B. For an ornament using beading thread to make a loop for hanging.